Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Tetragnathidae, ruby-spots, and bicycles




DID YOU WONDER WHO THIS IS ?????

It is a California dancer damselfly (Argia agrioides)    

TWO NEW ORGANISMS 




An American ruby-spot damselfly (Hetaerina Americana) shares a leaf with a long-jawed orb weaver spider, to the right of him - and it is a him.

.
I spent Sunday enjoying Odonates such as Hetaerina Americana (American ruby-spot damselfly) and Argia agrioides (California dancer damselfly). They are easy to like because they are colorful and they eat annoying insects like mosquitos.

However, Arachnids (spiders) were organisms I largely ignored - until I met and photographed a member of the family Tetragnathidae (long-jawed orb weavers) this weekend. Each photograph is a portrait and a good portrait photographer gets to know their subject. I did get to know Tetragnathidae in person and on the Internet and now I am becoming a fan of spiders!

A long-jawed orb weaver spider.



TOMORROW IT'S BACK TO THE FIELD!

But this time we are using bicycles! I need to find a new site to survey after the failure on Sunday and verify the radio transmitters I put on a couple of turtles are working. Yes,  I will do anything to feed my addiction to cycling. However, in this case, a bicycle is the ideal tool for this job!




No comments:

Post a Comment